Friday, April 30, 2010

Food makeover

I have been working on making over what our family eats for a few years now. For several reasons: health issues, wanting healthy eating kids, and to be good to our God given bodies. It has been a few years because ITS HARD! Really, to eat healthy we have had to ignore advertising and resist most of the food we have eaten (and like!) our entire lives. Granted the info on healthy eating changes daily it seems. I obsess a little over doing everything perfect or not at all so that is were Nate comes in and says "We just do the best we can with where we are." I play that over in my head every time I start to get overwhelmed with maybe not making the perfect choice.
Anywho, I say all this to let you know that I will be posting some of our successful family dinners. It will be a good journal for me, so that I can look back when I am stuck. Paper recipes just don't work for me. I would rather find it electronically:) One major encouragement for our progress was that Nate said his throat hasn't been hurting for the last week or so. Which is great cause it has hurt probably the last four years nonstop! The other encouragement was that the girls loved this dinner! I haven't dropped any lbs yet, but I am feeling better :)

I got this at a site called Healthy Eating made easy .
Veggie Stir Fry

3 bell peppers of different colors
a touch of sliced red onion
fried together in a little bit of coconut oil
add a bag of spinach
stir until wilted
add leftover chicken pieces, stir till warm

while cooking that I had some brown rice going and it all finished at the same time.

You can add salt and pepper to taste. Just don't let your 3 year old salt hers :)

Happy Day!

2 comments:

TheHappyNeills said...

One easy thing we've done is switch to Eggland's Best eggs, and these awesome healthy pancakes my mom makes. I'll send you the recipe sometime--I think I remember reading something on here about Sat morning pancakes, or am I making that up? :)

TheHappyNeills said...

oh--and buy your bell peppers at Picadilly (Central/Rock)! SO much cheaper there!

we also eat a ton of pasta and that's an easy way to get a healthy version of a staple with whole grain pasta or the kinds like Barilla Plus. pretty cheap healthy switch.